Wednesday, March 21, 2007

SG's Top Leaders Shy Away From Endorsements

At least three of SG's top leaders have made a bold decision on who they are supporting this year. No one. Student Body President Austin, Vice President Kim Nguyen and Presidential Chief of Staff (former Boca Senate Speaker) Todd Ericson have all decided not to endorse any of the candidates this year.

I would expect this from, let's say the likes of former Student Body President Dan Wilson, who wanted to please everybody, but not from Austin Shaw. Shaw's actions in the past have showed he always stands on principle even when the majority disagrees. Shaw has never hesitated about criticizing SG's actions. And I've never seen Shaw shy away from a difficult decision. But yet he doesn't want to get involved in this year's race for president. Shaw's graduating this semester. He won't be around to see what happens to SG, but that doesn't mean he has to stop caring. Instead he should tell the students who he thinks should represent the student body next year.

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I'm shocked Kim and Todd aren't supporting Rocky this year. Interested to hear what caused that break up.

I also don't know what is going on with Austin. He told me and I believe others that he would be supporting Tony and Abe. Austin is not one to lie or break his word.

March 21, 2007 at 7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Given who's listed as lead campaigner on their facebook group, and that their party is called "Reform", it makes a certain kind of sense to not openly declare full support. The image could easily be drawn that one supports more than just the reform of Student Government.

March 21, 2007 at 8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shaw's too busy appeasing Brogan and the rest of the Administration to have a backbone.

March 21, 2007 at 9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know, austin is a human, this election is hard to support

i feel that this election there are just too many pros and cons from both parties.

If jeff and abe were together, i would support them 100%. Seriously, i think abe is an amazing person, he has the drive and integrity. but tony. tony is a joke. his behavior in the past has made me question his loyalty to anyone but the people in his tunnel vision viewpoint.

rocky. i like rocky. he stands up for what he belives in, but i do not think that those are in the best interest for everyone. i cant fault him for his attitutde, just his decisions.

so i cant support him.

i think rocky makes a good senator, (not speaker).


so that leads us with jared and abe. both pretty good upright guys who are pasisonate about the position and the students.

jared for pres. abe for vp. that would be awesome.

March 21, 2007 at 9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that at least two of the three mentioned SG "leaders" are voting for Tony and Abe.

March 21, 2007 at 10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony has done nothing disloyal to anyone. I would like to hear why you claim that - and the reform movement has nothing to do with Marijuana as insinuated- come on now - stop the mud slinging and grow up

March 22, 2007 at 12:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony has done nothing disloyal to anyone. I would like to hear why you claim that - and the reform movement has nothing to do with Marijuana as insinuated- come on now - stop the mud slinging and grow up

March 22, 2007 at 12:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Shaw's too busy appeasing Brogan and the rest of the Administration to have a backbone"

Thank you, Chris Mack.

In case you're all unfamiliar with this gentleman, Mack wants SG to control EVERYTHING with no LIMITS and no CONTROL, since SG is doing such a top-shelf job under those conditions -- or were they?

Were they repeatedly in the newspapers, smearing FAU's name? Censoring the UP? Threatening to shut down the radio station? Stealing gift cards? Botching elections? Threatening administrators? Making us the laughing-stock of Florida? To the extent that, ENTIRE STATES away, Dr.Brown was advised NOT to take his position because of the terrible reputation of FAU's SG?

Oh, that's right. They WERE.

And now Mack and Co. are running for SG again, telling us they're going to make FAU a first-choice institution, which oh-so-ironically is the directive of the ADMINISTRATION, not student government.

Fact is, FAU's SG leaders are the biggest bunch of back-patting do-nothings in the state of Florida. That's a fact. Look at Florida's SG rankings.

And if you ever, ever go to a Senate Meeting and speak in Open Forum to try to voice your concerns, they condescend to you.

This has happened to EVERY SINGLE PERSON I know who has gone before the Senate. It happened to EVERY SINGLE CLUB that went to budget meetings last year. People left the budget meetings CRYING.

THAT is FAU's SG.

That's how they "serve the students." They'll serve it right to you and tell you where you can shove it if you don't like it.

Fortunately, since Shaw and Brown came to power, it's been smoother sailing for FAU.

I applaud the new direction that FAU is taking. Things are finally being accomplished here. Finally.

March 22, 2007 at 1:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOLY CRAP

LOOK AT THIS

http://www.floridaleader.com/bestsg_1.htm

In 1999, someone awarded us BEST SG in Florida. Read the article. Look at all the awesome things SG did back then. THAT is what SG should be like.

Oh man. If only it were 1999.

Whatever became of these things? The town hall meetings? The Student Advocate? The establishing of centers for student life?

Jason, please do a story on these. Please. Find out what happened.

March 22, 2007 at 1:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The long winded comment above is exagerating in the extreme. From the speaking style, I'm guessing it's Reform's lead campaigner.

If you go to a Senate meeting, the officers in charge are very sure to follow Robert's Rules of Order. If you consider that condescending - so be it. If you're referring to something else, I have personally never seen people in open forum condescended to. In fact, as was mentioned before, you spoke in open forum more than ANYONE else for the entire legislative session, yet you bemoaned the way you were silenced and prevented from speaking.

It is hardly fair to blame the current SG for anything that previous years of SG may or may not have done; but that doesn't matter to you, does it? You say that an SG with no limits and no controls is a terrible thing, but in the next paragraph you complain about SG following what you say is a directive from the administration.

It seems obvious you simply have a beef with SG in general, regardless of who it is or what it's doing. Good luck on having SA force through anything beneficial for the students; they forced through the new constitution and they still don't know which statutes to follow.

March 22, 2007 at 3:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the last post was very poorly written and looks like Chris Mack wrote it. Roberts Rules of order doesnt condescent people, but maybe sometimes the people using it do.

March 22, 2007 at 6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one has ever been condescended in Open Forum. However the Senate (now House) will not allow mudslinging and personal bashing to happen. If you don't like that then maybe you belong on Jerry Springer not in the Senate Chambers! Oh and I'm not Chris Mack so don't use him as a scapegoat. Grow up Gary/Dan!

March 22, 2007 at 8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I read these posts often (for laughs) I don't post as often as you think. I don't know who wrote the posts that I am being given credit for, but unlike certain people running for office I do not take credit for things that other people have done.

With that being said...

During last year (2006) there were countless times (many which were filmed by me for Owl T.V.) in which a multitude of senators were threatened or coereced into silence while attempting to speak in open forum. This was done at the hands (or lips) of Joshua Bratt at the instruction of Rocki.

The reason that you do not see as much of this going on today is because Peter Torres is a stuttering retard. I'm pretty sure that he has a sign across from his toilet that reminds him to wipe, and in which direction.

This reminds me of the three weeks of naivety that plauged me when I first became a senator. I used to watch Gary Goldburg rant and think, "What an asshole!". Then one day it occurred to me to talk to Gary and actually hear what he had to say and why he was saying it. I found out that I was an asshole in a gallery of assholes. So in that respect I feel sorry for many of those senators / representatives that are still ignorant today.

This ignorance and apathy is exactly what people like Rocki and Hallenstein count on in order to continue duping students (and SGA). For them it must be like watching monkies dance for the organ grinder, with Hallenstien as the Organ and Rocki as the Grinder.

I support Tony and Abe because they are men of good character. People who have worked with all of these men will make the same choice that I have unless they are ill informed, naieve (Austin Shaw last year), or have a hidden agenda. What will Millstein say? I'd say to ask Chris Mack, but he has a "not so hidden agenda" to become House Speaker. Good luck with that.

Representatives are supposed to follow Roberts Rules of Order? I agree, but wasn't it Chris Mack who stated during a senate meeting this year that RROO were a "guidline" and NOT to be strictly adhered to. His exact remarks were some babbling about the Seargant of Arms escorting senators into the senate chambers with a gun and that he (Mack) didn't think that was plausible in a university; neither do I for that matter. But this example is a great exhibit (when combined with the above comments; comments about Robert's Rules) that some SGA people will say whatever they wan tto fit the moment and then turn around and discard it when it doesn't serve their immediate purpose. That is hardly a sign of "good character".

March 22, 2007 at 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. I am the writer of "the long winded comment above". I am not Dan Alexander -- he's obviously outed himself in another comment and told you thr truth... why don't you do that, Mack? We all know it's you.

Look, I am just a student who reads the UP, lives in HPT, and have been in multiple campus clubs (thus my personal experience with SG)

I don't believe that I am "exagerating in the extreme" by providing true examples from not on only my experience, but the experience of others. If you ask around to club presidents, you'll start to see a clear picture of how SG treats them.

"If you go to a Senate meeting, the officers in charge are very sure to follow Robert's Rules of Order. If you consider that condescending - so be it."

Swing and a miss. Robert's Rules of Order have NOTHING to do with this whatsoever. Why would ANYBODY think that following protocol is condescending? It may be construed as rude to cut people off, but it's NOT condescending. Reasonable people know this.

I'm talking about the instances where club members are told that they need to ask the Senate for something in Open Forum...

So they get up there, articulate the problem, and then are pounded with wave after wave of senator questions who want to tear them apart for not knowing the procedures, the deadlines, what committee to report to or where.

You talk down to us. We're trying to function. It's gotten to the point that clubs would rather cancel events altogether to avoid having to speak in front of SG. Two of my clubs cancelled events because they were tired of being told that certain aspects of their events were "unnecessary."

What the Senate fails to recognize is that these students often don't know how to do things like process a PO or book a singer or put a bill through to attend a conference. SG does. You're supposed to HELP us so we can have events and improve campus life -- not make them so difficult that we can't do them.

As someone once said, "Club presidents don't want to be politicians to get things done and they shouldn't have to be." I can't recall who said that -- perhaps Austin Shaw.

"It is hardly fair to blame the current SG for anything that previous years of SG may or may not have done; but that doesn't matter to you, does it?"

All the things I mentioned were VERY recent history. We're not talking about SG action from 5 years ago, even. We're talking about SG from last year. So yes, it matters to me. And it should matter to you as well.

"You say that an SG with no limits and no controls is a terrible thing, but in the next paragraph you complain about SG following what you say is a directive from the administration."

Right... there's no problem with that train of thought.

"It seems obvious you simply have a beef with SG in general, regardless of who it is or what it's doing."

I just have a beef with what it's not doing. I enjoyed the Multicultural Festival. I didn't enjoy paying $700 to rent palm trees for the Keys to Success seminar. I don't enjoy when clubs were told that "free food is not important for meetings; meetings should be about content" when SG has had the Multicultural Festival (free food), Fall Festival (free food), Presidential Debates (Free food), Keys to Success (free food).

That's all I'm saying.

March 22, 2007 at 5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan Alexander needs to stop throwing my name around. I'm not involved in this election. I'm not in a paid position.

Alexander if you have a problem with me. I promise I can end it.

March 23, 2007 at 8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey hallenstein - go take a xanax I think it is past your bed time. Remember to put on your depends.

March 23, 2007 at 11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're in college people! Grow up!

March 23, 2007 at 11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alexander vs Hallenstein

Fisticuffs

Fri 3/30/07, 7 pm

in the Burrow

Wear Red

March 24, 2007 at 1:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're all talk, that is all that you have ever been. I am glad that you posted that because now there is proof of your idle threat. I don't hate you, I feel sorry for you - there is a difference. I will tell anyone that I want to of my experiences with you. If you feel threatened by that, than maybe you should be more considerate of the way you treat people.

March 24, 2007 at 2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

alexander and hallenstein should just run off and go brokeback on each other.

and jason parsley could film it.

March 27, 2007 at 9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alexander isn't Hallenstein's type. He (Alexander) has been over 21 for some time now.

March 28, 2007 at 7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan's pretty old too. When's he going to grow up and leave FAU?...Probably when he quits smoking weed....NEVER!

April 1, 2007 at 7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dunno, i think hallenstein is more of the "catcher" anyway...

if ya know whatta mean.

April 1, 2007 at 3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only been here for four years buddy, unlike Pete Torres, Rocki Joarder, and Michelle Hallenstein.

BTW, I'm leaving Boca after this semester. Maybe the three fucknuts above should try smoking some ganja, they might get to develop and leave as quick as I have.

Oops... I used Hallenstein's name again. Now he might "end it". OooOOooOoooOooOoo!

April 2, 2007 at 8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home